Here's how it works:
- This roster is based solely on the coolness of the player's name. Actual baseball ability, attractiveness, personality, or personal-hygiene have nothing to do with it.
- The player was listed on his team's active roster at the listed position (on mlb.com) as of whenever it was I looked it up (a couple days ago). The player doesn't have to be a starter for that position.
- Fun to say trumps fun to spell. Extra consideration if it's fun to say while you're pretending to be a ballpark PA announcer.
- If a certain position's choice seems to be lame, it's because that's as good as it gets (it was kind of hard to find a cool name for a couple of positions).
- This is my list. However, I am willing to take suggestions for "bench names".
C - Kenji Johjima (SEA)
1B - Morgan Ensberg (NYY) [seems more like a librarian's name than a baseball player's]
2B - Placido Polanco (DET)
3B - Marco Scutaro (TB)
SS - Edgar Renteria (DET)
LF - Frank Catalanotto (TEX) [isn't he that guy who does John Madden impersonations? jk]
CF - Coco Crisp (BOS)
RF - Nick Markakis (BAL)
DH - Jack Cust (OAK)
SP - Boof Bonser (MIN)
RP - Jimmy Gobble (KC)
CL - Huston Street (OAK)
Next off day: National League