Thursday, April 24, 2008

Conundrum

Wednesday: Twins 0 -- Ugly White Shoes 3
Thursday: Twins 2 -- Big Hurt's New Team eleventy billion

Which is worse? Pitching well enough to win, but can't possibly do that because the bats don't work ala Boof, or pitching like you're blindfolded, and feverish, and possibly sleepy, and can't get out of the first inning ala Franchise? For this Twins fan, it's a tough call. A loss is a loss is a loss.

There's no doubt that Boof is fine -- he knows he'll be making starts next month, and if he continues to pitch like he has been, he'll get his wins. But what, oh what, do we do with Francisco? I'm sure there will be plenty of speculation. Keep him and be patient? Send him to the bullpen? Send him down to the minors? I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.



A big, back-handed thank you to my boss for keeping me in that meeting all afternoon sparing me the pain of listening to the first inning. Actually, I think the thank you comes from the co-workers in my neighboring cubicles as I tend to forget I'm not alone when I listen to the games. I can only imagine the swearing that would have happened.


Thank God for girlfriends who share their wine.

And finally, the "You'd Have Way More Credibility If You Halfway Knew What the Hell You Were Talking About, You Moron" moment of the day: Why do I listen to Barreiro after a Twins loss? In fact, why do I listen to him at all? He was talking about Francisco's bad day when he said in his smart-ass way, "I blame Mauer. Don't they say that he's supposed to call a good game?" blah, blah, blah. Ok, you idiot, it's a stupid statement to begin with -- it's not the catcher's fault if the pitcher can't throw the ball. But the fatal flaw is that REDMOND caught today. And he should know that; Redmond almost always catches a day game after a night game, and he should have remembered because he complains about it enough. *extreme eye rolling*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had a headache all day, and I blame that 1st inning. My blood pressure went through the roof, I think. I suppose I could blame Mauer too...but that seems silly

Watching it on the computer, it really didn't LOOK like Mike Redmond was giving the signal for "Throw wildly in any direction you want," but maybe I missed it. I'm pretty sure Liriano came up with that particular game plan all by himself.