Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Delivering Us From Gloom

Twins 4 - Royals 3 (12) [We won, so why does it hurt so much?]

Thank you Cuddy for salvaging the game and leading us away from despair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Poor Nick Blackburn. I've accused him of being a gloomy guy because he never really smiles. But with the kind of luck he has, it's easy to understand why. After all, what does he have to do? He pitches a gem - almost a complete game shutout - and he watches it being ripped away on Nathan's very first pitch. I wanted to cry when they showed Nick in the dugout after the Royals tied it up. He just looked so sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I rarely question Gardy's decisions. I'd be a horrible manager and I know it, so I don't bother. But this time, I'm convinced that if he had let Nick stay in for one more batter, things would have been much, much better. He was getting ground balls all night, and I'm sure he would have induced the double play ball he needed. In fact, I was screaming that to the TV as Gardy walked out to the mound. I'm willing to bet that I wasn't the only one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Bert, Please, please, please don't ever talk about your personal hygiene again. I mean, seriously, chewing your toenails? Eeeewwww. I could've gone all day without thinking about that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And finally, the "This is What Happens When You Get Dressed in the Dark" moment of the game: Did anyone else notice that Jimmy "Gobble" Gobble had his undershirt on backwards? I didn't see it until the camera showed him from behind, but the "Royals" embroidery on the neck was in the back and the MLB logo that belongs on the back was in the front. Maybe it's a good luck thing. Or maybe he needed to get dressed in a hurry.

No comments: