Baseball cliches are a different story. Now, I don't really like the baseball cliches that have "crossed-over" to everyday language (e.g. "he stepped up to the plate"). But the cliches that are strictly about baseball...well, those are special. I love those cliches. I know exactly what's going on when someone "paints the corner" or "hits a grand salami" (although I will never like "that's a good piece of hitting" because it's such a stupid phrase).
But a good baseball cliche is only as good as who's saying it and who he's saying it about. So I made a list of phrases I want our favorite broadcasters (Dick-n-Bert and John-n-Dazzle-n-Blackjack) to say so often, they become cliches.
- Runner goes...throw down to second...SAFE!...Gomez steals another base.
- A swing and a miss...Slowey gets him on a breaking ball.
- Hit toward the hole...Oh!...Punto dives for it...throws to second...on to first...in time, double play!
pulled the string on that onegot him with a sweeping curve...buckled the batter with that breaking ball. [EDIT: Mr. or Ms. Anonymous informed me that "pulled the string" refers to a changeup. I don't think Nathan has a changeup, or if he does, I like his curveball better. So I changed it. Learn something new every day.]
- Hit well...it's going...it's gone...touch 'em all, Justin Morneau!
- Inning over...Perkins sits them down in order.
- He squares to bunt...it's a good one...pitcher fields it...throws to first...SAFE at first! Casilla gets another bunt hit.
- Good morning, good afternoon, good night...Liriano strikes him out on three pitches.
- He gives it a ride...base hit...Mauer goes 4 for 4
- There'll be a play at the plate...throw from right...Redmond reaches...OUT!...Cuddyer throws him out at home.
- It splits the gap...one run in...another run in...Young has another 2-run double.
- Strike-out number 10...Baker has another outing with double-digit strike-outs.
- He's tracking...back...back...he leaps up...CAUGHT!...oh my!...Denard Span makes a fantastic leaping catch.
- Strike three called...Guerrier gets him with the curve.
- Down the line...Crede ranges...throws from his knees...OUT!
- Another gem...Blackburn has a shut-out.
- This one's got a chance...it's up...HOMERUN!...Jason Kubel hits another one.
- Slow roller to second...inning over...Crain get out of a small jam.
- Twins add on another insurance run.
- Twins win.
- Twins add to their winning streak.