Monday, April 20, 2009

2009 AL Cool Name Roster

It's that time of year again...the first couple of off-days of the season, I compile my roster of Major Leaguers with the names I think are the coolest. This year's version is slightly different than last year's -- guys switch leagues, rookies are called up, and I change my mind.

Let's review the rules:
  • This roster is based solely on the coolness of the player's name. Actual baseball ability, attractiveness, personality, or personal-hygiene have nothing to do with it.

  • The player was listed on his team's active roster at the listed position (on mlb.com) as of whenever it was I looked it up (a couple days ago). The player doesn't have to be a starter for that position.

  • Fun to say trumps fun to spell. Extra consideration if it's fun to say while you're pretending to be a ballpark PA announcer.

  • If a certain position's choice seems to be lame, it's because that's as good as it gets (it was kind of hard to find a cool name for a couple of positions).
So here is the AL Cool Name Roster

C - Jarrod Saltalamacchia (TEX) [I was mad last year because he was stuck in the minors at the beginning of the season and couldn't make the list. He gets extra double consideration because his name is fun to say AND fun to spell]
1B - Wilson Betemit (CWS)
2B - Marco Scutaro (TOR)
3B - Matt Tuiasosopo (SEA)
SS - Mike Aviles (KC)
LF - Rocco Baldelli (BOS)
CF - Coco Crisp (KC)
RF - Shin-Soo Choo (CLE)

DH - Ty Wigginton (BAL)

SP - Armando Galarraga (DET) [gotta roll the Rs -- Arrrrrmando Galarrrrrrrraga]
RP (up to 5) - Jonathan Albaladejo (NYY), Ron Mahay (KC), Chris Jakubauskas (SEA)
CL - Joakim Soria (KC)

Notable Mention: P Josh Outman (OAK) [a pitcher named Outman -- Out-man -- har har]

These are my favorites; what are yours?

I'll do the NL Roster next off-day

2 comments:

Jim H. said...

I only went to one game in the old Yankee Stadium. It was memorable for two reasons. First, because Ruben Sierra hit a solo homer with two out in the bottom of the ninth to win it 1-0 for the Yanks. Second, because the long-time Yankee PA announcer (sometimes called The Voice of God)would introduce Frank Catalanotto with a short burst for Frank and then a long pause and then a machine-gun 'catalanotto.' My son and I rode the subway back to our hotel and tried -- with a number of other semi-drunk NYY fans -- to imitate that cadence. It was fun, so I nominate Frank......Catalanotto to the cool name team.

k-bro said...

I would love the hear Bob Sheppard live. I've only ever heard him on TV, but I know I'd get goosebumps if I heard him in person. I should probably hurry up and do that, huh?