Thursday, April 23, 2009

2009 NL Cool Name Roster

As promised, here is the NL version of my Cool Name Roster. One thing I learned is that I like more NL players' names than AL players' names. Maybe it's because I hear the AL names all the time, so I'm more used to them. Or maybe it's because the NL attracts more players with cool names. Who knows?

Let's review the rules:
  • This roster is based solely on the coolness of the player's name. Actual baseball ability, attractiveness, personality, or personal-hygiene have nothing to do with it.

  • The player was listed on his team's active roster at the listed position (on mlb.com) as of whenever it was I looked it up (a couple days ago). The player doesn't have to be a starter for that position.

  • Fun to say trumps fun to spell. Extra consideration if it's fun to say while you're pretending to be a ballpark PA announcer.

  • If a certain position's choice seems to be lame, it's because that's as good as it gets (it was kind of hard to find a cool name for a couple of positions).
So here is the NL Cool Name Roster

C - Yorvit Torrealba (COL)
1B - Micah Hoffpauir (CHC)
2B - Alfredo Amezaga (FLA)
3B - Emilio Bonifacio (FLA)
SS - Troy Tulowitzki (COL)
LF - Jeremy Hermida (FLA)
CF - Kosuke Fukudome (CHC)
RF - Hunter Pence (HOU)
SP - Jair Jurrjens (ATL)
RP (up to 5) - Kiko Calero (FLA), Carlos Villanueva (MIL), Scott Schoeneweis (ARI), Yusmeiro Petit (ARI)
CL - Francisco Cordero (CIN)

Notable Mention: 3D Kevin Kouzmanoff (SD) [just because it's cool to say Kooooooooooooouzmanoff]

2 comments:

thrylos98 said...

here are a few more for your consideration (and I am not including Lance Nix):

Casey McGehee, 3B Cubs
Omar Quintanilla, SS Rockies
Ryan Spilborghs, OF Rockies
Carlos Marmol, RP Cubs
Joel Hanrahan, RP Nationals
Manuel Corpas, RP Rockies (always brought me "dead corpse" subliminal references)
Edward Mujica, RP Padres
Tim Byrdak, RP Astros (bird duck, dead bird, duck)
Alex Hinshaw, RP Giants
Luis Perdomo, RP Padres
Jeff Fulchino, RP Astros
Jeff Samardzija, RP Cubs
Casey Fossum, RP Mets (sorry but wheneven I hear his name I am thinking of possum roadkill...)


this is fun :)

k-bro said...

I like your list. McGehee and Quintanilla were on my short list -- the last ones cut. I don't think Samadzija was active when I was looking up the names.

Corpas = corpse -- that's funny.