Monday, December 3, 2007

So Long Leeeeeeewwwwww

I saw on LaVelle E. Neal III's blog that Lew Ford is close to signing with the Hanshin Tigers in Japan. I want to wish him and his family the best of luck.

It's not a surprise that the Twins let him go. It had to have driven Gardy absolutely crazy when Lew lost Prince Fielder's routine fly-ball in the roof of the dome which allowed Fielder to score an inside-the-park homerun. To tie the game. When there were two outs in the ninth. *sigh*

As annoying as he could be, I still have a soft spot in my heart for him. I have a cool personal experience with him. A couple years ago, my family and I went to Fort Myers, FL, for spring training. My kids were collecting autographs, and most of the ballplayers were cool about giving them, but sometimes it was hard to get them. Except for Lew. After every game, his wife and kids would pick him up from the players' exit at the ballpark, and pull out into the public area of the parking lot, and sit there while everyone who wanted an autograph got one. And they wouldn't leave until everyone was taken care of.

Mrs. Ford was very patient, gracious, and friendly. She was telling fans that the team provides the players with a modest townhouse and one vehicle while they're at spring training. And she liked having the car while Lew was at the park, so she would drop him off and pick him up. And the boys were adorable -- if not a little rambunctious. They had super-soaker squirt guns, and they were aiming for the fans getting autographs. Mrs. Ford definitely had her hands full with them.

So I hope they do well in Japan. I imagine that it will a different experience for them. And I hope the boys get to bring their squirt guns.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cool story about Lew's family. I hope you have fun writing your blog!

Anonymous said...

how do you say 'doom' in japanese?

k-bro said...

Trisha and Becca,
Thanks for reading. And thanks for the link on your site.

Elston,
Thanks for reading. Hmmm -- good question. I hope Lew remembers his Geek to Japanese dictionary.

k-bro

Anonymous said...

I really liked reading about your experience with Lew and family.Hope he does well too.