Friday, July 24, 2009

When Bad Spelling and Baseball Collide -- Perfect Edition

Yes Mark Buehrle pitched a perfect game Thursday. And as you would expect, that feat generated a lot of buzz -- some of it misspelled buzz.

Ok, we have to admit that Buehrle is probably in the top three in the "Hardest Name to Spell in the MLB" category. And I have to come clean -- I did indeed spell his name wrong myself in my blog entry. And as someone who often has her first name spelled wrong, I regret that error. However, I am not a pro. And to be honest, I was in a huge hurry when I wrote it. I fixed it just as soon as I found out.

First of all, it was a problem on Twitter. @MLB himself was none too happy about it.



Ok, fair enough. But most of the folks tweeting about weren't pros either. And maybe they were in huge hurries.

However, the St. Paul Pioneer Press is a professional and well-respected newspaper. They ran this article from the Associated Press. Notice how his name is spelled correctly in the article, but the headline writer didn't get it right.



Ok, that's probably a webmaster who works for the PiPress collecting articles and writing headlines. Maybe that person just didn't look at the very first line of the article to see how it's spelled.

I mentioned it on Twitter, and @Daymonster (who blogs at Alright Hamilton!) showed me this little gem from ESPN Chicago. (It's really hard to see, because it's kind of small, and it's wrong only in one place, but it's there.) Edit: Daymonster had to point out to me that it says "Pefect" because I didn't even notice it at first.


Ok, well it was only once. And it was fixed by the time I visited the site.

A quick Google search of the misspelling also yielded this local news outlet in Hawaii. Every instance is spelled wrong -- including the graphic on the video.



Ok, well Hawaii is pretty far from Chicago.

But, one would think that Yahoo! Sports would get it right, right? Not so much. Again, every instance is wrong.



So I guess I was in good company when I spelled it wrong.

But I'm pretty sure Mr. Buehrle would like it if people would figure it out.

2 comments:

Daymonster said...

Haha... I was actually referring to the word "perfect" being misspelled.

S.Rail said...

Wow! How can people be so dumb? It's not just like one website, but many! Jeesh. Just imagine what it was like in school for him...