Wait Now...Who's This?
Vance WorleyLikely Opening Day Starting Pitcher
What he looks like:
|Credit: Getty Images|
Where did he come from:
Philadelphia Phillies. He and Trevor May were traded for Ben Revere.
A few things to get excited about:
- He'll get more ground ball outs than fly ball outs
- He's not likely to give up a ton of walks
- He was a fan favorite in Philly, so he might actually have a personality
- His nickname is "Vanimal"
- He might fill the necessary "adorable dimples quotient" the team has been lacking since Michael Cuddyer's departure
- He wears sweet glasses
A few things to temper your enthusiasm
- He's coming off elbow surgery (bone chips) late last season
- He hasn't really had a great spring (not that that matters much)
- He doesn't have a great history of pitching deep into games (5-6 inning average)
- He probably won't get a ton of strike outs
- He's a former National League pitcher (the hitters in the American League tend to be better)