There are a few new faces on the Minnesota Twins roster. The season is starting soon, and I thought I'd introduce them to you. If you haven't had a chance to see any Spring Training games, you probably won't know who you're looking at when you're watching on Opening Day. Back in the day, the Twins had a "Get To Know 'Em" ad campaign, but I'm sure that phrase is all trademarked and stuff, and I'd get in a whole heap of trouble if I used it, and I've been pretty busy lately, and the last thing I need is a whole bunch of "cease and desist" emails and phone calls, even though my tiny little blog isn't likely to dilute their precious trademark or anything, but whatever, so I present to you...
Wait Now...Who's This?
Mike PelfreyStarting Pitcher
What he looks like:
|Source: Getty Images|
Where did he come from:
Signed as a free agent. Been with the Mets since 2006.
A few things to get excited about:
- He's 6'7"
- He's not likely to give up a ton of home runs
- He'll probably get more ground ball outs than fly ball outs
- He's just like the rest of us and likes fried food
A few things to temper your enthusiasm
- He's recovering from Tommy John surgery last season
- He had the surgery May 1st, and it usually takes more than a year to fully recover (of course, everyone heals differently, so he could be ok, but ...)
- He probably won't strike out a ton of batters
- Broken record alert: He's only ever been a National League pitcher