Saturday, August 7, 2010

When Baseball and Bad Spelling Collide: Poster Edition

My teenage son is a typical boy who likes sports. His room is wallpapered in posters of athletes of all ilks. Consequently, he really enjoys his subscription to Sports Illustrated for Kids. He looks forward to getting it every month, especially since the center pages pull out to make a poster of an athlete. 

His very favorite baseball player is Albert Pujols (yeah, he's a Cardinals fan -- I have no idea where this comes from). So, this month's edition of the magazine was especially thrilling as the poster was of Sir Albert himself. He immediately hung it up.

When he showed it off to me, well, something stood out and practically hit me in the face...


I've already expressed my displeasure on spelling names wrong, right? Yeah, well double that. You'd think that Pujols has been around long enough -- he's certainly good enough -- to have his name spelled correctly on the sidebar. This is Sports Illustrated, fercryingoutloud!


Who knows? Maybe the layout designer thought he smelled funny and was using a texting shortcut to express that (get it? P.U.-lols).

2 comments:

myjah said...

Oh my gosh, that is funny. Maybe because it was sideways they didn't realize it looked funny...

THE GRAMMARPHILE said...

Ha! This is a very amusing mistake.

On the topic of Albert Pujols, I remember mentioning his name a while back to my most recent ex-boyfriend who knew absolutely nothing about baseball (and I do mean NOTHING--he may have actually reerred to baseball players scoring *goals* once). He got a look of disgust on his face when I talked about Pujols, and when I asked what was wrong, he was like, "Poo-holes? EW! What kind of a last name is that?" I had to explain that it really wasn't anything gross or dirty...