Saturday, February 21, 2009

Welcome Crede, and Enjoying Classic Scotty

So Bill Smith really is alive. It must have been the warm Florida sun that woke him up. Perhaps he's like those iguanas that go into mini-comas when it's cold, and then are just fine when it warms up again (although you'd think we would've heard something if he had actually fallen out of a tree).

And not only is he awake, but he's apparently ruthless. He got Joe Crede for a really, really good deal. He did not cave when Crede's agent, Scott Boras (who has been compared to Beelzebub himself), reportedly requested $7 million base salary plus incentives. In fact, Smith said, "No! And just for thinking that, you'll accept $2.5 million base plus incentives that total no more than $7 million. And you'll like it!" And Crede and Boras said, "Sir! Yes sir!"

All this might be an indication that Crede really wanted to come to the Twins (it might also mean that he didn't really have any other options, but I prefer to believe the former). Well, I, for one, am glad to have him.

Welcome to the Minnesota Twins, Joe Crede.

Photo from mlb.com/credit Getty Images

Could you do me a favor though? I know it's been a long off-season and all, but just in case you happen to have any White Sox stench still on you, would you mind terribly if I asked you to take one of those decontamination haz-mat showers? We can't be too careful; you're one of the good guys now.


Photo from Getty Images

Oh, and another thing...could you please stay healthy? I mean, if you can't, it'll probably be ok because we still have Brian Buscher. But I think it'd just be best for everyone if you went ahead and earned that $7 million. If it'll help, I'd be happy to send you a case of Doan's Pills.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I was writing this, FSN aired a classic Twins game from August '07 -- Scott Baker's near-perfect game against the Royals. It made me smile. In fact, I was sitting here cheering as I was watching it for the first time. I'm such a dork.

So, to celebrate his awesome pitching performance, I'll upload his picture.


Nice work, Scotty.

1 comment:

S.Rail said...

Crede will surely add some power. I can't wait for the season to start. It's going to be a great year!!