Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Staring out the Window

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
~Rogers Hornsby

I probably see that quote a hundred times each off-season, and I can always relate. And now that the holiday-hubub is over, the off-season blues hit even harder. Sure, the Twins try to help out by offering the Winter Caravan and TwinsFest, and those are fine events, but they are merely teases. Kind of like small appetizers when you haven't eaten all week. But, they do nourish a baseball hunger a little.

So, for now, I'm staring out the window. But it's nice to know that these are coming up soon, which means the start of spring training will soon follow, and then the start of the season.

As for me, I probably won't attend any of the Winter Caravan tours since they take place during the week (alas, I have a real job). I'm not sure about TwinsFest -- I'd like to go (alas, I have a family who might have other ideas for that weekend). But I'm thrilled to know they'll be here soon.

No comments: