Monday, August 15, 2011

Adieu Delmon

I love Twitter. Without it, how else would I have found out that Delmon Young turned into a Tiger for a pitcher I've never heard of and a player without a name?

Ok, for real, Delmon Young was traded to the Detroit Tigers for minor-league LHP Cole Nelson and a player to be named later.

The Twins are in Detroit today preparing to face the Tigers this evening. Reportedly, Young was informed of the trade right before he boarded the team bus going to the stadium, so he was able to say goodbye to a few of the guys. He's batting third and playing left field for the Tigers.

Keeping up with Twitter also let me know how a lot a fans felt about the trade. Overwhelmingly, Twins fans are delighted he's gone. Many also agree that he should have been traded last off-season while his value was high. He was likly to be non-tendered this offseason, so even though the Twins really got very little, it's good they got something.

When Young was first traded to the Twins for the 2008 season, I was fairly optimistic. I had heard about his "anger management" issues, but I knew he was supposed to be a good hitter. A power hitter from the right side of the plate was just what the Twins needed.

However, that "good hitter" aspect never really panned out as expected. He struck out too much and too uglily. His defense was atrocious and never got better. His best year, 2010, he came into the season in excellent shape after losing about 30 pounds, but as the pounds came back, the athleticism left to make room. Additioanlly, there were hints that he had a less-than-stellar work ethic and attitude. By this season, I, along with most other Twins fans, was begging for him to be traded. It got to the point that the only thing I could find to like about him was the uniform he wore.

However, my disdain for him notwithstanding, I sincerely hope he is happy with his new opportunity.

No comments: