Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Well, Isn't THAT Just a Punch in the Gut


So, yeah, you've already heard by now that the most valuable right elbow in Twins Territory is damaged. And not just rub-some-dirt-on-it-and-walk-it-off sore, but torn-and-possibly-needing-surgery damaged. There's a "significant" tear to the ulnar collateral ligament, otherwise known as the ligament that gets replaced in Tommy John surgery. And that's just the route he might have to take. He'll decide in the next two weeks. I hate it that this thought entered my head: this may not only end his season, but he's 35, and chances are that it'll take two years to get back to awesome-closer form, this might end his ... nope, I don't want to think about it. Damn.

So now there is much hand-wringing throughout Twins fandom about who will fill those most excellent shoes. Who's going to notch 47 saves in 2010? I'm glad I'm not the one who has to decide.

Rauch? He's got major-league experience with closing, but his stuff's not terribly over-powering. And many fans don't seem to like him very much.

Neshek? Well, sure, if it was still 2007. But he hasn't thrown a pitch in a major league game for almost two years, I think he needs some time to ramp back up.

Liriano? Meh. He probably has the stuff, but I can't trust his head.

Guerrier? Well, he did close in the minors. I guess he'd be ok. But still ...

Trade for someone? Right...unless we could pry Joakim Soria from the Royals, which ain't gonna happen.

Aaaaaaaggggggghhhhh!!!!!

There are so many great points of view out there. Click on the various blogs; a lot of folks have some great input on the topic. I found this Twinkie Town interview with Will Carroll particularly informative.

No comments: