Thursday, June 7, 2012

Carl Pavano Paper Doll, Baseball and Bad Spelling Collide, Series Recap, and Other Notes

So, I didn't really get a chance to pay much attention to this series. I was kind of busy with the "having a life" thing -- watching my kid play baseball, improving my golf game (this is a hilarious statement if you've ever seen me golf), etc. But I was able to check in from time to time, so I'm not completely lost

Some notes:
  • Seems to me that the best starting pitching performance of the series (Liriano's) was the one that resulted in a loss. But it was good to seen Frankie pitching better.
  • I think Jared Burton wants us to love him.
The Twins have placed RHP Carl Pavano on the 15-day DL retroactive to June 2 with what they're calling a right anterior capsular strain. Wow, that's a mouthful; let's break it down.

Right means, well...your other left? Anterior means front. The capsule is a static group of ligaments in the shoulder that stabilize the joint. I guess strain means that it hurts.

Pavano's been bothered by this most of the season, and the Twins have decided to shut him down for a little while to let it heal, and have him start a throwing program sometime in the future.

I've tried to do some reading on the injury, but I can't really get a sense of how long he'll be out.

Nick Blackburn was activated off the DL (quad strain) to take Pavano's roster spot.

When Baseball and Bad Spelling Collide
I haven't done this little segment in a long time. In fact, it's been so long that I kind of forgot I used to do it. Until I saw this from Wednesday's game:
Oh, poor Jeff Manship. It's not like it's a hard name like Mastroianni or even Parmelee.

And according to Rhett Bollinger from


It seems like Mr. Mansihp ... er, Manship, has some getting even to do.

On Thursday, the Twins optioned pitcher Cole De Vries to AAA Rochester and recalled first baseman Chris Parmelee. Due to a favorable line up of off-days, the Twins don't need a 5-man rotation for a while, so this gives De Vries a chance to hone his skills at a more appropriate level.

And Parmelee has been smacking the ball around in AAA, so it's time to give him another chance in the bigs.

No comments: