Thursday, June 7, 2012

Carl Pavano Paper Doll, Baseball and Bad Spelling Collide, Series Recap, and Other Notes

So, I didn't really get a chance to pay much attention to this series. I was kind of busy with the "having a life" thing -- watching my kid play baseball, improving my golf game (this is a hilarious statement if you've ever seen me golf), etc. But I was able to check in from time to time, so I'm not completely lost

Some notes:
  • Seems to me that the best starting pitching performance of the series (Liriano's) was the one that resulted in a loss. But it was good to seen Frankie pitching better.
  • I think Jared Burton wants us to love him.
~~~
The Twins have placed RHP Carl Pavano on the 15-day DL retroactive to June 2 with what they're calling a right anterior capsular strain. Wow, that's a mouthful; let's break it down.

Right means, well...your other left? Anterior means front. The capsule is a static group of ligaments in the shoulder that stabilize the joint. I guess strain means that it hurts.

Pavano's been bothered by this most of the season, and the Twins have decided to shut him down for a little while to let it heal, and have him start a throwing program sometime in the future.

I've tried to do some reading on the injury, but I can't really get a sense of how long he'll be out.

Nick Blackburn was activated off the DL (quad strain) to take Pavano's roster spot.

~~~
When Baseball and Bad Spelling Collide
I haven't done this little segment in a long time. In fact, it's been so long that I kind of forgot I used to do it. Until I saw this from Wednesday's game:
Oh, poor Jeff Manship. It's not like it's a hard name like Mastroianni or even Parmelee.

And according to Rhett Bollinger from MLB.com:


and


It seems like Mr. Mansihp ... er, Manship, has some getting even to do.

~~~
On Thursday, the Twins optioned pitcher Cole De Vries to AAA Rochester and recalled first baseman Chris Parmelee. Due to a favorable line up of off-days, the Twins don't need a 5-man rotation for a while, so this gives De Vries a chance to hone his skills at a more appropriate level.

And Parmelee has been smacking the ball around in AAA, so it's time to give him another chance in the bigs.

No comments: