Monday, May 28, 2012

Homework and Catching Up on Other Notes

Sometimes writing a blog feels a little like homework. Especially when the topic of the assignment is so hard to watch sometimes. I've already failed to turn in the Chicago and Detroit series assignment, and since it's too late to get any credit for those, I may as well move on. Like the Twins pitchers.

I was going to write about Matt Capps and trust, but since he pulled off a save on Monday, I don't want to jinx anything. Besides, it would probably have been a C+ effort on my part anyway. (For what it's worth, I really do want to be able to trust Matt Capps, but he still has a ways to go before I get there. But I'm trying. I know he is too.)

I feel like my grades are slipping. I'd better try to get some extra credit. Sometime.

I mean, it is summer now, and even though baseball is the quintessential summer school topic, it's also hard to concentrate on class when you're daydreaming of other summer things. Much like the Twins pitchers.

So, anyway, sorry. I'll try to do better next time. Just like the Twins pitchers.

~~~
Injury watch
Nick Blackburn is set to begin a rehab stint in Rochester on Tuesday.


~~~
Roster moves
I have some catching up to do here...

The Twins designated Jason Marquis for assignment. They tried to trade him, but couldn't, so they put him on waivers. He cleared waivers, and both the team and Marquis declined a minor league assignment, so he is now a free agent. As much as I cringed whenever he pitched, I do wish him the best. That story about his daughter's bicycle accident tugged at my heart, and I image he still has a bajillion dollars left in hospital bills to pay.

To replace Marquis on the roster, the Twins purchased the contract of Eden Prairie, MN native Cole De Vries. I don't know too much about him; he wasn't even a spring training invitee (didn't the Twins invite like 174 pitchers to spring training? And De Vries wasn't one of them? And they mentally checked off all the other ones to get to him? Wow). He already made one start, and he did so-so. Call it newbie nerves. It'll be interesting to see how he does in front of Eden Prairie, Minnesota, and everybody.

The Twins have recalled pitcher Jeff Manship from Rochester. He will be assigned to the bullpen to take the place of Francisco Liriano, who is moving back to the starting rotation.

To make room for Manship, the Twins have designated OF Erik Komatsu for assignment. He was acquired off waivers from St. Louis, who selected him in the Rule 5 draft from Washington. He now is exposed to waivers again; if he clears them, he must either be offered back to the Nationals or, if the Twins want to keep him Rochester, a trade must be worked out.


No comments: