Monday, February 11, 2008

I Was Wondering Where They Are...

Becca over at Twins Sisters has a nice post saying goodbye to the players that left this off-season. That got me thinking..."what happened to them?" So I did a little research on mlb.com and ESPN Free Agent Tracker.

Torii Hunter, Carlos Silva, Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett, Johan Santana -- ok, these are obvious. No more needs to be said.

Lew Ford -- Outrighted in October; signed with the Hanshin Tigers in Japan in December.

Rondell White -- Wasn't he supposed to retire? But he filed for free-agency in October. But with his injury issues, and his name on the Mitchell Report, he's likely done.

Matthew LeCroy -- Still a free agent -- at least I think so. I found a report that says that he declined outright to minors which qualifies him for free-agency, but he's not listed on the Free Agent Tracker and I can't find any other reports.

Josh Rabe -- Outrighted with Lew; same story as Big Matt.

Jason Tyner -- Non-tendered in December; still a free agent.

Which got me thinking about some other former Twins that were "between teams"...

Tony Bautista -- Still a free agent.

Jeff Cirillo -- Still a free agent.

Eddie Guardado -- Signed with Texas.

LaTroy Hawkins -- Signed with the Yankees.

Corey Koskie -- Still a free agent. I read someplace (I think it was one of the Strib writers) that he says that if he doesn't sign by mid-season, he'll retire.

Kyle Lohse -- Still a free agent. Wow. And he was supposed to be one of the top pitchers available.

Doug Mientiewicz -- Still a free ag...wait. What? He signed a minor-league contract with an invite to S.T. with the Pirates. When did that happen? Oh, just today. Huh.

Eric Milton -- Still a free agent.

Shannon Stewart -- Still a free agent.

So, that's it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always liked Shannon Stewart. I hope someone signs him. He was another good player that you never heard anything negative about.

**Becca** aka Twins Sisters