Thursday, January 22, 2009

When [Bad] Grammar and Baseball Collide

As I've mentioned before, one thing I like almost as much as baseball is good grammar. And as a result, I like to make fun of poor grammar on professionally-made things. If someone pays good money on a sign or website, it really should be correct.

So, imagine my glee when two of my favorite grammar-centric humor blogs (or humor-centric grammar blogs) chose to publish baseball related entries on the same day!

First, from The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks, we have this.

Not only is it unclear how many worlds the series applies to, but apparently SEPTA doesn't really think they're champs.

[For the record, you do not use quotation marks to emphasize words. You would, however, use them to indicate sarcasm or irony.]

Then, from RED PEN, INC. (the author of which also writes a baseball fangirl blog The BILF Report) we have this:


Because these biggest stars belong to the game, it should be game's, not games.

This isn't the first time that MLB has messed up on their e-publications. See here and here for proof. But they are also guilty of another apostrophe blunder. I saw this every time I logged into Game Day Audio to listen to day games last season, and it bugged me like crazy.



Again, because the games belong to the day, it should be TODAY'S GAMES.

Seems like MLB needs a good proofreader.

Oh, and check out the blogs I listed above. They're a ton a fun.

No comments: