Thursday, September 29, 2011

Well, That's That

For a season that focused so much time on remembering the past, 2011 was certainly forgettable.

Fans had the chance to fondly look back on the great careers of Harmon Killebrew, Bert Blyleven, and John Gordon and to celebrate the 1991 World Series team.

We also got to celebrate some great personal achievements: Jim Thome's 600th home run, Francisco Liriano's no-hitter, Michael Cuddyer's All Star Game selection, Joe Nathan's 255th save for the Twins record, Ben Revere's 32nd stolen base for the Twins rookie record.

All these things were terrific, and I really enjoyed them. I'm just sad that there weren't many other chances to cheer.

I'm grateful I chose to go to Wednesday's game. I wanted to say goodbye to the season. I'm grateful that the Twins played well for me and avoided that 100 loss thing. Sure, 99 losses is still a hella lot of losses, but it ain't 100.

I love that the 2011 debut of the Pavanostache resulted in such a fine performance. I hope Carl finally realizes that the 'stache is magical and that he's a much better pitcher with it than without it; add "keep the 'stache, Carl" to my 2012 Wish List.

I'm also grateful that I got one last chance to say goodbye to my two baseball boyfriends: Joe Nathan and Michael Cuddyer. I gave Cuddy a standing ovation during his final plate appearance. I'm a bit bummed that I didn't have the same opportunity for Joe Nathan, but I totally understand -- the power of the 'Stache was too strong for that kind of sentimentality. However, when Joe grabbed some mound dirt after the game was over, I lost my composure...I was inconsolably sniffly. I guess he doesn't think he'll be back. Sad.

So, after the playoffs and World Series try to distract us for a little while, we're faced with one of the strangest off-seasons the Twins have had in a while. They simply have to fix this.

It's a fact that some of the guys I saw play on Wednesday will be wearing different uniforms in 2012 -- some back to the minors; some with other organizations. I sincerely wish them all the best.

For the guys who will be back, I sincerely wish them the best, too. They all need to be healthy and ready to go for Spring Training.

And I'm already looking forward to pitchers and catchers reporting!

~~~

I hope that the playoffs provide at least half the excitement that the two wild card races did. Wow, huh?

I don't like to make predictions for post-season play, but I do like to pick rooting interests. So here we go:

  • I like the Cardinals to beat the Phillies (I consider the Cards my NL team),
  • I like the Brewers to beat the Diamondbacks (I know more about the Brewers),
  • I like the Tigers to beat the Yankees (for obvious reasons), and
  • I'm torn between the Rangers and the Rays -- but the Rays have the slight edge (I like their story, and I love Joe Madden).

Have fun with the small portions of baseball left for the year. The off-season can be kind of fun, but it doesn't keep me warm at night like actual baseball games do.

No comments: