Note: This post is part of the Twins Blogisphere Nick Punto day, started by Andrew Kneeland of Twins Target. Many blogs are participating; be sure to check out the blogs listed in the sidebar for more Puntoliciousness. Or click the links in the live Twitter feed on the right.
Good ol' Nick Punto. In many ways, he reminds me of my good ol' Reeboks -- for better and worse (but mostly better).
- Shoes: I call these my "utility shoes." I can wear them most days I wear jeans. And in a pinch, I could even wear them with black chinos if I really need my feet to be comfortable.
- Nicky: Well, he's the utility player. He can play most infield positions. And in a pinch, he could even go to the outfield if the Twins really need a substitute.
- Shoes: They demonstrate that, because they fit perfectly, comfortable feet are at least as good as stylish feet.
- Nicky: He demonstrates that, because he has awesome defensive skills, saving runs is at least as good as driving in runs.
- Shoes: They're not the best shoes in my closet. However, they do a nice job as walking shoes, which is all I ever expect of them.
- Nicky: He's not the best player on the team. However, he does a nice job hitting in the 9th spot, which is all the Twins ever expect of him.
- Shoes: I have a lot of great memories with them both here and abroad. There's a story behind why I took them to Germany (apparently Europeans think it's odd that Americans wear white shoes).
- Nicky: He's made a lot of great memories both on and off the field. There's a story behind why he makes slushies for Justin Morneau (apparently Canadians think it's necessary to drink slushies made by a player for Team Italy in order to play baseball better).
- Shoes: They can be maddening -- the laces come spontaneously untied. A lot.
- Nicky: He can be maddening -- he dives spontaneously head-first into first base. A lot.
- Shoes: For what I got, they were kind of expensive. There's nothing high-tech about them, but they cost more than comparable shoes.
- Nicky: For what the Twins get, he's kind of expensive. There's nothing Type-A about him, but he costs more than comparable players.
- Shoes: They're very hardworking and reliable.
- Nicky: He works very hard and has a lot of hustle.
- Shoes: They're wearing out. They don't have the cushion they used to. I wouldn't be surprised if they rip out very soon. This is probably their last season with me, so I'd better enjoy them while I can.
- Nicky: He's wearing out. He doesn't have the defense he used to. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets seriously injured very soon. This is probably his last season with the Twins, so we'd better enjoy them while we can.
- Shoes: You could try all day long to try to tell me why they're no good, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them.
- Nicky: Ditto.