Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wait Now...Who's This? Wilkin Ramirez

There are a few new faces on the Minnesota Twins roster. The season is starting soon, and I thought I'd introduce them to you. If you haven't had a chance to see any Spring Training games, you probably won't know who you're looking at when you're watching on Opening Day. Back in the day, the Twins had a "Get To Know 'Em" ad campaign, but I'm sure that phrase is all trademarked and stuff, and I'd get in a whole heap of trouble if I used it, and I've been pretty busy lately, and the last thing I need is a whole bunch of "cease and desist" emails and phone calls, even though my tiny little blog isn't likely to dilute their precious trademark or anything, but whatever, so I present to you...

Wait Now...Who's This?

Wilkin Ramirez

Outfielder and Pinch Hitter
Right-handed
27 years old

What he looks like:

Source: Getty Images


Where did he come from:

Signed as a minor league free agent after the 2011 season. Spent the 2012 season in the minors.

A few things to get excited about:

  • He had an outstanding spring (not that that matters much)
  • He has some pop in his bat
  • He dominated AAA
  • On Tuesday, according to Baseball Reference, he was baseball's 5 millionth player appearance
  • He drove in a run on Wednesday

A few things to temper your enthusiasm

  • He's going to strike out way more than he walks 
  • He might strike out more than he gets hits
  • He probably won't have a great batting average
  • He's going to be stuck on the bench for most of the season

No comments: